Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
This is a rebroadcast. The episode originally ran in September 2018.
Mark Mathews was born in Houston, TX. He served a mission in Guatemala and met his wife at Brigham Young University. He later earned a Ph.D. in education from Utah State University. He has been teaching for the Church Educational System for 17 years and has taught in Brigham City, Utah Valley, and at BYU.
- 5:27: Will include the word “temple” in his class titles moving forward.
- 6:14: There are many things that happen in the temple that can and should be discussed.
- 7:24: To understand the temple, the best source is the Doctrine and Covenants as the Lord reveals and restores knowledge regarding the purpose and power of temples.
Priesthood Keys (8:42)
- 9:21: Understanding priesthood keys
- 9:36: What is the priesthood, and what are priesthood keys?
- 10:37: Keys give the right to be the president, to direct, control, and preside over the priesthood and the work of the priesthood in the church within a jurisdiction
- 11:20: Different keys were gradually restored over time and as needed.
- Aaronic Priesthood keys, John the Baptist: authority to baptize
- Melchizedek Priesthood keys; “The Keys of the Kingdom”; Peter, James, and John: authority to preside over, organize, and lead the church
- Keys of the Gathering of Israel, Moses: “gathering” begins with missionary work, and culminates in gathering disciples to the temple
- Keys of Abraham’s Dispensation, Elias (27:25): celestial marriage
- Sealing Power, Elijah
- 14:47: Quorum presidents
- 17:24: Before being taught anything regarding priesthood keys, Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery are taught in Doctrine and Covenants 18, “remember, the worth of souls is great in the sight of God” and the importance of bringing those souls unto Christ. Each quorum president, adult, and youth, must understand the worth of the soul, and the charge to help bring those souls unto Christ.
- 22:36: Keys helps members know whom to follow. When members hear contradictory messages, follow the keys.
- 24:00: While we have many general authorities, we have only fifteen individuals who hold all of the keys, and we sustain them as “prophets, seers, and revelators”.
- 25:11: Delegation. Seventies do not hold keys but are acting using keys delegated to them by key holders. The same principle applies to counselors to keyholders.
- 26:22: Seals all ordinances performed for both the living and the dead.
- 32:43: The importance of proper record keeping: Joseph Smith taught that as ordinances are recorded on earth, they are recorded in Heaven. “All things are spiritual.”
- 34:28: On sealing cancellations. “When you are sealed in celestial marriage, you aren’t just sealed to your partner. . . you are being sealed up to Eternal Life. . . When a marriage is dissolved, you don’t want to cancel that sealing until they are ready to renew it again with someone else. Even if they don’t want to be with their partner, they still have been sealed up to certain blessings that they don’t want to loose/unseal.” (not ‘lose’–important distinction). God is perfectly just and perfectly merciful. He will not force somebody to spend eternity with somebody against their will.
- 39:22: What happens to the sealing of the children of divorced parents? All your losses will be restored to you; see Doctrine and Covenants 130:2.
- 45:54: We should seek to better understand the doctrines behind sealing and God’s love
The New and Everlasting Covenant
- 46:28: The sum of all ordinances and covenants, not simply eternal marriage.
- 49:17: This is the same covenant that was given to Abraham. It is the fulness of the gospel. It helps us understand what the Restoration is. It is the Plan of Salvation.
- 54:15: These ordinances are connecting to become exalted and become like our Heavenly Parents.
How has being a leader made you a better follower of Jesus Christ?
- 55:31: Appreciate those who are willing to follow, despite the imperfections of the leader.
- 57:36: When students are actively learning, it pulls out better teaching from you because the Holy Ghost wants to reach them. The Holy Ghost magnifies you. The same is true for leadership.
- 59:00: “When we’re good followers, it makes leaders better.”
Mark Mathews’ Meridian Magazine author page
The Melchizedek Priesthood, by Elder Dale G. Renlund
Follow Mark Mathews on Facebook
Read the TRANSCRIPT of this podcast.
I loved this broadcast about Priesthood authority and keys. I had several aha moments throughout the broadcast. Thanks for the insight and wonderful way this information was organized. Best Podcast ever!
So glad you decided to rebroadcast this episode, as I didn’t hear it the first time. I especially appreciated the thoughts and insights regarding the sealing ordinance and how to approach the topic with those that have been sealed and subsequent divorce. Powerful, enlightening, spiritually uplifting.