Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
In this episode of How I Lead, I talk with Marty Halverson who is currently serving as a Relief Society president in South Jordan, Utah.
Marty shares her 5 keys of leadership and includes advice on choosing counselors when you don’t know anyone in the ward, establishing unity in a ward, creating a mission statement, showing love at every opportunity, and leading how the Savior would lead.
Marty’s 5 Keys of Leadership
1. Determine your direction and invite others to follow
- Articulate a mission statement based on lofty goals and personal strengths
- Ask: “What do we want to have happen?”
- Ask: “What could our RS be like?”
- Describe an exciting vision for the future.
2. Cultivate strong friendships
- Become acquainted with every sister in my care.
- Be familiar with her circumstances.
- Remember her name and her story.
- Eat, work, walk, and talk together as the Savior did.
- Listen with compassion.
- Spend time; don’t be in a hurry.
- Demonstrate unabashed love.
3. Lead with Encouragement
- Send the message, “Be of good cheer. It is I, your friend, your neighbor. Don’t worry. I want to help.” (To Lead as Jesus Led Book).
- Speak kindly: ask, don’t demand.
- Value individuals, treat them individually.
- Laugh and smile a lot. Make it fun to be together.
- Show gratitude. (Remember this is a volunteer organization!)
4. Help others succeed
- Support the bishop!
- Involve as many people as possible.
- Share expectations.
- Train with diligence and patience.
- Utilize “Return and report”.
- Compliment their efforts.
5. Remember this is the Lord’s work. Use the Lord’s methods
- Listen for inspiration.
- Recognize others’ inspiration.
During the interview Marty referenced the book To Lead as Jesus Led by Eric Stephan and Wayne Pace (I’m looking forward to reading it).
Other interviews of interest:
Marty is the greatest relief society president! She lives and breathes it. What a lucky ward!
Marty and Dee. Two great treasures! Like leaven to our ward.
Thank you for this interview! I’ve been an RS president for almost 3 years now, and I learned a lot from her. I loved her thoughts and tactics on visiting teaching (something that always needs attention)!
I literally happened across this podcast via pinterest. I rarely go on pinterest these days but it’s a resource for many things that I enjoy doing like quilting, crafting, sewing, church callings, church lessons, girls camp, etc.
What a blessing it is in my life to have found your website today and to have listened to Sister Halverson’s podcast. Thank You!! I was recently called to serve as Relief Society President. I can tell you that I related to her experiences in being called and going through the process of looking at names, praying, and going to the Temple to receive confirmation on the Sisters to be called to serve. I appreciate her 5 Keys to Relief Society Leadership and the experiences that she shared.
I learned so many things from listening to this podcast.