Marty’s 5 Keys of Leadership
1. Determine your direction and invite others to follow
- Articulate a mission statement based on lofty goals and personal strengths
- Ask: “What do we want to have happen?”
- Ask: “What could our RS be like?”
- Describe an exciting vision for the future.
2. Cultivate strong friendships
- Become acquainted with every sister in my care.
- Be familiar with her circumstances.
- Remember her name and her story.
- Eat, work, walk, and talk together as the Savior did.
- Listen with compassion.
- Spend time; don’t be in a hurry.
- Demonstrate unabashed love.
3. Lead with Encouragement
- Send the message, “Be of good cheer. It is I, your friend, your neighbor. Don’t worry. I want to help.” (To Lead as Jesus Led Book).
- Speak kindly: ask, don’t demand.
- Value individuals, treat them individually.
- Laugh and smile a lot. Make it fun to be together.
- Show gratitude. (Remember this is a volunteer organization!)
4. Help others succeed
- Support the bishop!
- Involve as many people as possible.
- Share expectations.
- Train with diligence and patience.
- Utilize “Return and report”.
- Compliment their efforts.
5. Remember this is the Lord’s work. Use the Lord’s methods
- Listen for inspiration.
- Recognize others’ inspiration.
During the interview Marty referenced the book To Lead as Jesus Led by Eric Stephan and Wayne Pace (I’m looking forward to reading it).
Other interviews of interest: