Brian Crane is the creator of Pickles Comic Strip (see more information below about Brian and Pickles), which is the fullfilment of a childhood dream. He is a life-long member of the Church who was born in Twin Falls, Idaho and raised in the San Francisco Bay area. Brian served in the Uruguay Paraguay mission (the same mission as Steven Shallenberger whose interview you can listen to here). He attended BYU (where he met and married his college sweetheart) and majored in graphic design. He worked as a graphic designer and art director for many years when in his late 30s his childhood dream returned. He pursued it and has now been drawing the comic for 25 years from his studio in Sparks, Nevada. Brian often includes LDS references (temple pictures on the walls or quotes from church leaders, for example) in the comic.
Brian has served many years as a Scout Master and was recently called to be the 11-year-old Scout leader. Prior to this, he was serving as a counselor in a Young Single Adults ward bishopric. In that capacity he worked with the Relief Society. He has also served as a high counselor and in several other bishoprics.
- Learn names quickly
- Appreciate enthusiasm of those you serve
- Leadership training
- train from the Handbook 2: Administering the Church
- Make callings meaningful
- Be a self-starter
- Building effective relationships with other leaders
- To find joy in your life, serve!
- Do good in all aspects of your life
- The Art of Making Pickles from BYU Magazine
- Bio from PicklesComic.com
- About Pickes (from WashingtonPost.com)
- Read his daily strip at GoComics
Thanks to Nathan Waldron for writing the summary of this interview.